Dona Onete ranks first in the WMCE and TWMC
Dona Onete, a singer from Pará, holds the 1st position in two international rankings in September: World Music Charts Europe (WMCE) and Transglobal World Music Chart (TWMC). The song “Banzeiro” (2016), from the album with the same title, was ranked in the first chart, while the recently released record “Rebujo” (2019), which includes songs that feel like a dive into the waters and culture of the Northeast region of Brazil, was ranked in the second one. The song writer of the hit “Carimbó Chamegado” is the breakthrough in the Pará music scene: she released her first album, “Feitiço Caboclo”, in 2012 and has been producing frantically since then.
In 2016, upon the release of the album entitled “Banzeiro”, the artist reached the top of her career with carimbós, boleros and banguês – the latter a festive rhythm slaves from the countryside of the State of Pará used to dance –, which evoke themes and images from the daily routine of Amazonian inhabitants. Afterwards, she released “Flor da Lua” in 2018 and the acclaimed “Rebujo” this year.
Ionete da Silveira Gama is 80 years old and was a teacher of history and Pará studies, worked in the Secretariat of Culture of Igarapé-Miri, was affiliated with a political party and an organizer of carnival folk groups. Only after her retirement, at the age of 62, she decided to sing and record the songs she had written (over 300).
In July 2017, Dona Onete was on the cover of the most important world music magazine, Songlines, and had her fourth tour across Europe, participating in festivals such as the Rudolstadt Festival in Germany, the Zwarte Cross in the Netherlands and the WorldWide Festival in France. In the same year, she was nominated for the Brazilian Music Awards in the Best Regional Singer category and for the Order of Cultural Merit award. Dona Onete is a member of Brasil Music Exchange (BME), a Brazilian music fostering project carried out by means of a partnership between Brasil, Música & Artes (BM&A) and the Brazilian Trade and Investment Promotion Agency (Apex-Brasil).
Check out the full list of WMCE Top 20 in September:
- Banzeiro Dona Onete, Mais Um Discos, Brazil
- Lajko Felix & Volosi Lajko Felix & Volosi, Fono, Hungary/Poland
- The Exorcism of a Spinster Hope Masike, Riverboat, Zimbabwe
- Echoes of Japan Minyo Crusaders, Mais um Discos, Japan
- Gakti Vassvik, Heilo, Norway
- Mrak Boban Markovic Orkestar, Fono, Serbia
- Allj Bele a Melybe / Stand Into the Deep Meszecsinka, CPL-Music / NarRator, Hungary
- Gaizca Project Ialma / Manu Sabate / Inaki Plaza / Ciscu Cardona / Nicolas Scalliet, Homerecords, Spain
- Future Flora Black Flower, SDBAN Ultra, Belgium
- Um Corpo no Mundo Luedji Luna, Stern’s/ybmusic, Brazil
- Pura Vida (Banda Sonora) Misia, Galileo MC, Portugal
- Jambu (E os Miticos Sons da Amazonia) various artists, Analog Africa, Brazil
- Celia Angelique Kidjo, Universal, Benin/USA
- I love you Inna Oumar Konate, Clermont, Mali
- Sofa Miramundo, NarRator Records, Brazil/Italy/Mexico/Spain
- De Palenque A Matonge Dizzy Mandjeku & Ale Kuma, Zephyrus, DR Congo/Colombia
- Butterfly Vassilis Ketentzoglou & Sofia Labropoulou, Odradek, Greece
- Gece Altin Gün, Glitterbeat, Netherlands/Turkey
- Trece Cancions Bonitas German Diaz & Benxamin Otero, Producciones efímeras, Spain
- Africa Speaks Santana & Buika, Concord Records, USA/Spain
O Brasil Music Exchange (BME) é um projeto de auxílio à exportação de música desenvolvido desde 2002 por meio de uma parceria entre a Brasil Música & Artes (BM&A) e a Agência Brasileira de Promoção de Exportações e Investimentos (Apex-Brasil). Para essa finalidade, o BME realiza diversas atividades de promoção de negócios e imagem internacional.